Information and Tips for
Creating and Maintaining a Certified Wildlife Habitat
Website: National Wildlife Federation .
For more than 35 years, the National Wildlife Federation's Certified Wildlife Habitat
program has shown people the benefits of gardening for wildlife. From backyards and
apartment balconies to schoolyards, businesses and farms, no garden is too big or
small to turn into a wildlife-friendly habitat.
Why should I create a NWF Certified Wildlife
- It's fun! Watching wildlife in action can be fun and relaxing for
everyone. Your habitat may attract beautiful songbirds, butterflies, frogs, and
other interesting wildlife for viewing from your very own window.
- Curb appeal! Replacing grass lawns with native wildflowers, shrubs, and
trees will increase the beauty of your property and provide a nurturing refuge for
- Bring wildlife home! Restoring habitats where commercial and residential
development have degraded natural ecosystems can be your way of giving back to
- Eco-friendly! Gardening practices that help wildlife, like reducing the
use of chemicals, conserving energy and water, and composting also help to improve
air, water and soil quality.
- Community! Gardening for wildlife can help you share your love of wildlife
with your neighbors and help them get involved in creating a home for wildlife.
Once your habitat is certified by NWF, you can order and display an attractive Certified
Wildlife Habitat sign to convey your commitment to wildlife conservation and the
environment, and help you spread the word to your neighbors.
To certify your backyard visit
NWF Certified Wildlife Habitat .
Return to Environment & Conservation
Copyright © 2008-2013 by West Michigan Green Gardeners